How to Detect Transmission Problems
If your vehicle is showing any of these warning signs you can’t ignore, you’ll want to bring it in for transmission repair:
- Sudden changes between gears
- Rougher gear shifts than normal
- Check engine light
- Leaking transmission fluid
- Delay when shifting from Park to Drive
How Do I Know if My Transmission Needs Service?
Your car’s transmission is one of the most complicated parts on the vehicle, and it can be tough to know if the transmission needs repair, or if it’s another system. No matter if you have a manual or an automatic, these problems might be a sign that your transmission is on its last legs:
- Loud Shifting – When you shift, does your transmission make a thudding or clunking noise? That can be a symptom of a failing transmission.
- Warning Lights – The check engine light might not indicate a transmission problem, but it’s a good idea to bring it to a service center like Rock Auto Group to have them check it out. It could even be a simple repair like a defective solenoid.
- Leaking Fluid – A transmission should never leak fluid, as it’s a sealed unit. If you notice bright red, dark red, or brown fluid leaking beneath your car, take it in for an inspection.
- Gear Slips Sink Ships – When a gear shifts unexpectedly, your car will feel suddenly under or overpowered. The engine might even make a whining noise as your RPMs spike.
- Slow Shifts – Shift your car from Park to Drive. If there’s a noticeable pause in-between, it could signal that your transmission is on its way out.
Transmission repair costs can vary a great deal, so it’s worth bringing your car, truck, or SUV in to see what the problem might be. If the entire transmission needs replaced, it might be more economical to shop for a used model that’s in great shape. Luckily, Rock Auto Group offers many low-cost used car options.
Turn to Rock Auto Group for Service
The service experts at Rock Auto Group can help with your repair needs, including oil changes and a transmission fluid change. We’re easy to reach at 464 W. Main St. in El Cajon, CA, and we’re happy to go over your transmission repair options. In addition, we offer these perks over other local dealerships and service centers:
- Advice on jump starting a car in the rain
- Rock bottom prices on used models
- Online service scheduling
More From Rock Auto Group
- March 6, 2018
Gas is expensive. If you’ve had to fill up your used car in San Diego lately, you know that it can feel like you’re emptying out your wallet putting fuel in your car. But there is good news. You can reduce the cost of driving by following these five simple steps to increase your fuel…
- March 6, 2018
San Diego Service Tips If your vehicle is showing any of these warning signs you can’t ignore, you’ll want to bring it in for transmission repair: Sudden changes between gears Rougher gear shifts than normal Check engine light Leaking transmission fluid Delay when shifting from Park to Drive How Do I Know if My Transmission…
- March 6, 2018
We’re not quite as Irish as Chicago, but San Diego still has plenty of ways to celebrate the St. Patrick’s Day holiday. Where they’ve got green rivers and overcast skies, we have green beer and sunshine. Check out some of our top picks for your 2018 St. Patrick’s Day festivities. More San Diego Events ShamROCK…
- January 29, 2018
Buying a used car from a private owner can be risky, while buying from a dealership provides these benefits: A comprehensive vehicle history report Access to auto loan financing Assistance with filing and completing paperwork More confidence that a vehicle will last for years to come Shop Used Cars Dealership Used Car Advantages When you…
- January 24, 2018
San Diego is famous for their wide selection of Mexican restaurants, so be sure to try out the following options: The Taco Stand in La Jolla serves shrimp tacos, chicken burritos and other favorites. La Puerta offers the street food-inspired dishes with Mexican restaurant atmosphere. Head to Miguel’s Cocina in Coronado for handmade corn tortillas…
- January 3, 2018
The 38th Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day Parade will be held on Harbor Drive on Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 2:00 PM. This celebration — one of the largest of its kind in the United States — honors the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and his commitment to upholding the civil rights…